Qualified Exercise Professional (QEP)
Qualified exercise professionals currently play an important role in exercise testing and training of both healthy and clinical populations in a variety of settings. Qualified Exercise Professionals have advanced training, follow evidence-based best practices and work within their defined scope of practice when interacting with their clients. Our standards for the Qualified Exercise Professional designation are consistent with the recommendations of Warburton and colleagues (2011,2013) and Jamnik et al. (2007).
All applicants must hold a current certification with one or more of the following:
- British Columbia Parks and Recreation Association (BCRPA-CPT)
- American College of Sports Medicine (ACSM-CPT, HFS, CES, RCEP)
- Canadian Society for Exercise Physiology (CSEP-CPT, CSEP-CEP)
- British Columbia Association of Kinesiology (BCAK Practicing Kinesiologist)
- Health & Fitness Federation of Canada (HFFC-CPT, HFFC-CEP)
- National Strength and Conditioning Association (NSCA-CPT, CSCS, CSPS, TSAC)
Membership Fees and Voting Privileges
The HFSBC is dedicated to supporting qualified exercise professionals and providing professional development opportunities in the health and fitness field. There is NO FEE to register or renew as a Qualified Exercise Professional membership. Current Qualified Exercise Professionals Members are full members of the society provided that they have met the minimal requirements for this designation, are in good standing, and pay any fees set by the Board. Full members (in good standing) have full voting privileges within the society.
- Access to our members only online community
- Networking opportunities with other practitioners in the health and fitness field online and at local events
- Advertisement of services in our publicly accessed online member directory
- Access to posted employment opportunities
- Discounted prices to all HFSBC professional development events
- Priority access for participation in HFSBC sanctioned events and initiatives
- Full voting privileges
Jamnik VK, Gledhill N, Shephard RJ. Revised clearance for participation in physical activity: greater screening responsibility for qualified university-educated fitness professionals. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2007;32(6):1191-1197. doi:10.1139/H07-128.
Warburton DE, Bredin SS, Charlesworth SA, Foulds HJ, McKenzie DC, Shephard RJ. Evidence-based risk recommendations for best practices in the training of qualified exercise professionals working with clinical populations. Appl Physiol Nutr Metab. 2011;36 Suppl 1:S232-S265.
Warburton DE, Charlesworth SA, Foulds HJ, McKenzie DC, Shephard RJ, Bredin SS. Qualified exercise professionals: best practice for work with clinical populations. Can Fam Physician. 2013;59(7):759-761.